Gardening is good for your health. Gardening burns calories and reduces your risk of stroke, heart diseases and other life-threatening diseases. Two mature trees can produce sufficient oxygen for a family of four. Also, plants improve indoor air quality by functioning as atmospheric filters.
Gardening is good for the environment. Besides cleaning the air and reducing carbon dioxide, plants support wildlife and biodiversity by providing food and homes for birds, insects, reptiles and mammals.
Gardening is good for your pocket. Strategically planting trees, shrubs and vines around your house can reduce summer cooling and winter heating bills by up to 50%.
Gardening is good for your investment. A well landscaped property can add 20% to the value of your home.
Gardening is good for the soul. Gardening reduces stress levels and boosts your mood. After all, there are few joys in life that beat the sight of a new blossom unfurling or the taste of that first ripe tomato off the vine.
Whether you’re a seasoned gardener or a beginner, below are a few links that you might find helpful.
General Gardening Resources
Wildlife and the Environment
- Attract birds and butterflies to your garden (article)
- 10 tips to attract wildlife to your garden (article)
- Inviting birds to your garden (article)
- Butterflies and Moths of North America
- Save Our Monarchs Foundation
- David Suzuki: Monarch Butterflies and #gotmilkweed
- Pollination Canada—Increase the presence of pollination insects in your garden and why our food sources depend on them
- Keeping Honeybees Safe While Using Pesticides (article)
- Canadian Wildlife Federation
- Nature Conservancy of Canada
- Tree Canada
- How to Attract Hummingbirds
Native & Organic Suppliers
- Arboquebecium —Native plant producer, Sainte-Catherine-de-Hatley
- Pépinière Rustique—Native plant producer, Saint-Adolphe-d’Howard
- Horticulture Indigo—Native plant and seed producer
- Brother Nature—Organic seed producer, British Columbia
- Wildflower Farm—Organic wildflower and native grass seeds, Ontario
- Abbondanza Farm—Producer and educator of heirloom plants and seedlings